[sustran] Motorcycles in cities

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Sep 12 18:31:54 JST 2006

Dear Eric Bruun and others,

I take your point Eric.  But still as an observer, what I am seeing here is in
fact an entirely 'new phenomenon': its newness being a function of the explosive
growth and performance of these vehicles in the traffic stream. I am by no means
trying to suggest that we give up as you say modeling their performance with the
planner's ample and absolutely vital technical toolkit. But no, I very much
believe that in light of the evidence motorized two and three wheelers do need
to be singled out for special attention given our significant ignorance and
demonstrated inability to cope. To my mind we are right in the middle here of
the politics of transport, behind which there must be a sound vision and
understanding. Which by all indications is greatly lacking today.

Eric Britton

PS. As in all these exchanges Eric, I do not want me to be right. I want US to
be right.