[sustran] Re: Busway Operation

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Mon Sep 11 23:26:41 JST 2006

Dear Jonathan,

It is quite possible to design a busway with buses entering and leaving the
busway which has as high a capacity as a closed busway.  However, it
requires a bus with doors on both sides of the bus, it requires still having
off board ticket collection along the corridor, (which implies some
duplication of ticketing systems) and platform level boarding.  It also
requires that the streets where the normal buses operate can handle larger
buses (if they are required).  The problem is that this requires replacing a
very large bus fleet, which is very expensive.  By the way, no system like
this has yet been designed, to my knowledge, but we are working on just such
a system in Guangzhou.

However, it is important that the system is 'closed' in the sense that not
any bus can use the system, only buses conforming to a required technical
specification and under a specific management authority.  By this
definition, this is still a 'closed' system, even if the routes involve some
that operate both on trunk lines and some in mixed traffic.

If you need to see the details for calculating capacity, you can for now go
to a non-linked part of the itdp web site, and check the to operations
chapters, at www.itdp.org/brt_guide.html.  I hope to have the fully
formatted new version up in a few weeks, but this will probably have the
information you need.

Walter