[sustran] Jan Gehl, Greenwheels named as finalists for this year's World Technology Awards for Environment

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Oct 16 22:57:13 JST 2006

Dear Friends,

This is to share with you the good news that both Jan Gehl and the Greenwheels
team have been named as finalists in this year's World Technology Award for
Environment, for which the formal award ceremony is to take place in San
Francisco on 2-3 Novemenber. You can see all about it at

http://wtn.net/2006/summit/shortlisted.html.

Jan Gehl has also been named a Fellow of the World Technology Network, while
Greenwheels has been named a WTN Corporate member. This last is I think a
tribute that is to be born in mind by those of us who care about the New
Mobility Agenda and better and softer (and cheaper) ways of getting around in
our daily lives, indicating as it does that Greenwheels and with it the
carsharing movement more generally are now seen by many as socially and
environmentally useful services which nonetheless need to be organized and run
on sound business principles. That is not the only way to make carsharing work
as we are seeing at World Carshare, but it is certainly one of the models which
are fast reshaping the industry, and with it carsharing contributions to
sustainable mobility and sustainable cities and lives.

And to give you an idea of the company that Jan now enters as a Fellow, here is
a selection of the close to one thousand world innovators who have been named to
this honor: Manuell Castells, Anil Gupta, Jaime Lerner, Hans Monderman, Tim
Berners-Lee, Amory Lovins, Ezio Manzin, Achim Steiner, Martin Wachs, Robert
Ayres, Sushmita Ghosh, Michael Walsh, Priyadarshini Karve, Ken Livingstone, Bill
Gates, Steven Case, Jerry Yang, Muhammad Yunus, Richard Dawkins. Among others.

Once again, I am pleased to express my personal thanks to all of you who have
got behind our nominations for this year's awards, and I am sure that this
recognition will not only be useful for them in their work but also for all of
us who are concerned with sustainable mobility, sustainable cities and
sustainable lives. What more could we ask for?