[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum "The Future Intelligent Transport Systems initiative" - one more short-sighted interest-fed government-industry boondoggle

Andrew Curry andrew.nextwave at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 11 04:07:07 JST 2006

Eric

I need to declare an interest here before I start to respond: I was one of
the futures consultants who worked with the UK Foresight, which is an
independent body inside the Department of Trade and Industry, to create
(with a wide range of stakeholders) the scenarios component of the
Intelligent Infrastructure Systems project. All the outputs are now online
at www.foresight.gov.uk. I'm responding here personally rather than
professionally.

Full disclosure over. The ITS contracts are only a part of the work being
done to develop transport policy in the context of future constraints. The
soft systems work which underpins the scenarios (which wasn't done by me) is
robust and challenging - and looks at the whole context. A number of the
stakeholders and advisers - including some well-respected social scientists
- ensured that the agenda of the project was as much about alternatives to
mobility as easing/encouraging mobility. Without getting into the detail of
the four scenarios of themselves, at the heart of each of them is a
different 'core driver' of transport use and policy; from ICT innovation, to
built environment, to high resource cost, to carbon controls/road rationing.

I also know, through my work (and therefore can't say much more) that the
Department of Transport is engaging with other government departments in the
UK to try to develop a cross-government view of future transport policy
which extends well beyond the relatively narrow part of the work which was
mentioned at the ITS. But the Intelligent Transport Systems Congress isn't
really the right place to talk about the other stuff.

Eric, if you've looked at the scenarios and systems work, and the science
summaries, I'm happy to have a debate about whether it covers the right sort
of areas. If you haven't, would you like to do that?

With best wishes

Andrew Curry

--
email from Andrew Curry