[sustran] Re: Lessons to learn? 'Delays mire U.S. road project in Aceh ' (From the New York Times of 8 Oct. 06)

Robert Cowherd cowherdr at wit.edu
Tue Oct 10 01:43:43 JST 2006

Eric,

Thanks for putting this out there.

The most telling quote of Perlez¹s piece is the Montana Highway-man¹s
(Ventura) comment that ³The road itself is no different to anyplace in the
world.² Having spent considerable time on roads in Montana and in Aceh,
including what¹s left of the road to Calang, I find it instructive to
consider the similarities and differences.

Decades after the social function of American main streets was displaced by
higher speeds, and dissipated with the relocation of residents and
businesses out of town, the loss of this social function is now taken for
granted socially and culturally as being part of a ³natural² progression up
the developmental ladder. Those of us engaged in struggles to re-establish
vibrant socially supportive downtown environments do not take this loss for
granted and are reminded daily of the widespread mentality that has accepted
and even embraced this loss. Ventura might retort along the lines of omelets
and breaking eggs (joining Stalin and Rumsfeld) to dismiss the negative
impacts of America¹s road-building legacy, but he would do well to look at
what his native Bozeman is doing to mitigate the damage of street widening,
a bypass freeway, and a paired one-way traffic road pattern.

When I was facilitating a pilot village mapping and village planning process
in post-tsunami Banda Aceh, one of the biggest threats to our process was
the JICA (Japanese International Cooperation Agency) plan to widen the ³main
street² easement of Deah Glumpang from 3.5 meters to a 20 meters I found
myself making the point that the village might some day recover from the
tsunami but it would never recover from the JICA road. Fortunately, our
suggestion to relocate the road to serve as a replacement for the lost
Dutch-era breakwater was taken up as the preferred alignment.

Similarly, the social function of the west coast road in Aceh survived the
Tsunami even where the physical road itself and 85 percent of the population
did not. The American coastal road built Montana-style will end this with
stunning finality. The members of this list are no doubt well-armed with the
design features of a road that would both provide mobility and maintain the
social function of the village ³main streets.²

One would hope that even if USAID-Indonesia misses the boat on how to take
advantage of these opportunities, someone will point out prior to opening
the road to traffic that, despite Mr. Ventura¹s assertion that the road is
the same as anywhere else, Indonesian¹s drive on the left.

Robert Cowherd, Associate Professor, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Volunteer with Forum Bangun Aceh
Boston, Massachusetts