[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Re: FWD:Europe: Commuting Faster in Suburbs than Cities

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Wed Oct 4 10:19:07 JST 2006

Isn't the truth somewhere in between?

Lee Schipper
Director of Research
EMBARQ, the WRI Center
for Sustainable Transport
10 G St. NE
Washington DC, 20002
+1202 729 7735
FAX +1202 7297775
www.embarq.wri.org

>>> czegras at MIT.EDU 10/03/06 6:18 pm >>>
I actually also took a closer look at the urbanaudit.org data.  In
fact,
with enough digging it is possible to find the data which, apparently,

underlie Cox's analysis.  Basically, he seems to take the city center
and the LUZ (larger urban zone) data for travel times and then, using
the population ratios between the two, derives an estimated suburban
travel time (note, however, that I did not look for all of this data
for
all of the cities that Cox includes in his table; I only examined a
select few city tables.  In fact, for the cases where the city center
is
higher than the Metropolitan area, this approach *might* underestimate

the "city"-"suburb" difference, since we might expect number of workers

(those commuting) per population to be lower in the suburbs than the
city centers.

This approach might be okay to provide a broad-brush portrait of
commuting time differences in the urban areas with data available. But,

there are probably too many doubts to be sure, such as:
1. What kind of surveys are these data derived from? What are the
margins of error?  Without this information we cannot know if the
apparent differences between the two are statistically significant
(this
is not Cox' fault, per se, as the urbanaudit.org provides no readily
accessible info on survey methodology, sample sizes, etc.).  Almost 1/2

of the cities (27, by my count) have "city center"-"metropolitan area"

differences of 2 minutes or less....
2. As is typically problematic to these kinds of data comparison
efforts, there is very little information on the relevant physical
characteristics (As Todd Litman pointed out in an earlier post, not all

suburbs are the same) and related influences of, for example, the
modifiable areal unit problem. Where you draw the boundaries around the

spatial units, quite simply, affects the values of what is measured.
Are
all alleged "Suburbs (estimated)" the same? For example, what if Rome's

"Central City" includes most of the urbanized area and the "Suburbs
(estimated)" is basically farmland interspersed by the occasional
bedroom community; most of the farmers commute to their field, while a

few bedroom community dwellers drive long distances (and times to the
city center)? This might be a highly stylized (and unrealistic)
anecdote, but we cannot know from the available data.
3. What do we really care about?  Commuting time and center city v/s
suburb comparisons is certainly one measure of importance, but we would

also need to see other related factors and indicators of interest. For

example, do the differences hold up once controlling for, say, income?

Also, what about distances traveled or modes used, out-of-pocket costs,

other costs, etc?  Also, while the journey to work is certainly an
important indicator, what about all of the other trips (for these
cities, I would imagine journey to work is at most 1/3 of total daily
trip purposes)?

In my view, the data presented offer more in terms of raising further
questions of interest than they do support for the kind of sweeping
conclusions Cox would like us to believe. For example, why do almost of

all the German "Central Cities" have travel times equivalent to (or
less
than) the Metropolitan Area Average?  Is this a result of metropolitan

structure (or transport system or some other factor) or where the data

boundaries were drawn (or both)?  What differences seem to characterize

those cities with apparently very large Center City versus Metropolitan

Area differences relative to those with very little difference (or
indeed with lower center city travel times)?  Etc.

Cheers,

Chris Zegras

Roland Sapsford wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have now undertaken a little research.  The EU Urban Audit project

> home page can be found here: http://www.urbanaudit.org/   It covers a

> wide range of indicators for 258 cities within the 27 members of the
EU.

> The table referenced here:
> http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-eu15-jtwtime2001.htm deals with a
subset
> of the Urban Audit cities. The table has three columns. The left-most

> column is labelled "City Centre" in this table.  This is incorrect.

> These figures are in fact the the data for cities as a whole from the

> Urban Audit site.  They are the only travel time data that I can
locate
> on the urban audit site .
>
> The Urban Audit site itself makes no reference to "suburban areas" or

> "metropolitan areas" in its indicator list or elsewhere that I can
> easily locate.  Others may correct me on this.
>
> One of the presentations given to the urban audit city meeting in
March
> of this year refers to Larger Urban Zones as a concept that is being

> incorporated in the current Urban Audit based on 2004 data - this
audit
> is not yet available.  Data are also available for some indicators
(not
> travel time) for sub-city districts.
>
> There is no published methodology on the the publicpurpose website
for
> how the two right hand columns of figures in their table were
> calculated, or indeed to what they refer.  No definitions or data
> sources are provided.
>
> These figures have been circulated in the name of Wendell Cox; I
would
> invite him to provide some evidence to support his claims other that

> simply circulating a table which has no obvious provenance in the
Urban

http://www.fromtheheartland.org/blog/2006/09/europe_commuting_faster_in_sub.
>> php#more
>> Data:http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-eu15-jtwtime2001.htm
>>
>> Europe: Commuting Faster in Suburbs than Cities
>>
>> <snip>
>>

> Check in here via the homepage at http://www.newmobility.org
> To post message to group: NewMobilityCafe at yahoogroups.com
> Please think twice before posting to the group as a whole
> (It might be that your note is best sent to one person?)
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> <*> Your email settings:
>     Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
>     (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
>     mailto:NewMobilityCafe-digest at yahoogroups.com
>     mailto:NewMobilityCafe-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com

>     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

join the real sustran-discuss and get full membership rights. The
yahoogroups version is only a mirror and 'members' there cannot post to
the real sustran-discuss (even if the yahoogroups site makes it seem
like you can). Apologies for the confusing arrangement.