[sustran] Re: FWD:Europe: Commuting Faster in Suburbs than Cities

Roland Sapsford roland at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Oct 4 04:28:38 JST 2006

Hi

I have now undertaken a little research.  The EU Urban Audit project
home page can be found here: http://www.urbanaudit.org/   It covers a
wide range of indicators for 258 cities within the 27 members of the EU.

The table referenced here:
http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-eu15-jtwtime2001.htm deals with a subset
of the Urban Audit cities. The table has three columns. The left-most
column is labelled "City Centre" in this table.  This is incorrect.
These figures are in fact the the data for cities as a whole from the
Urban Audit site.  They are the only travel time data that I can locate
on the urban audit site .

The Urban Audit site itself makes no reference to "suburban areas" or
"metropolitan areas" in its indicator list or elsewhere that I can
easily locate.  Others may correct me on this.

One of the presentations given to the urban audit city meeting in March
of this year refers to Larger Urban Zones as a concept that is being
incorporated in the current Urban Audit based on 2004 data - this audit
is not yet available.  Data are also available for some indicators (not
travel time) for sub-city districts.

There is no published methodology on the the publicpurpose website for
how the two right hand columns of figures in their table were
calculated, or indeed to what they refer.  No definitions or data
sources are provided.

These figures have been circulated in the name of Wendell Cox; I would
invite him to provide some evidence to support his claims other that
simply circulating a table which has no obvious provenance in the Urban
Audit project itself.

Roland Sapsford
Wellington, New Zealand