[sustran] Re: FWD:Europe: Commuting Faster in Suburbs than Cities

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sun Oct 1 23:49:17 JST 2006

Thank you for sharing this. Cox is a master of propaganda and it's
good to be reminded of the sort of messages he produces. His analysis
is inaccurate and dishonest, but persuasive. For example, he fails to
account for important confounding factors or discuss alternative
interpretations. He assumes that correlation reflects causation, at
least when it in his interest. He never (as far as I know) publishes
in peer-review journals, and so his claims are never evaluated by
independent experts. Let me highlight a few misrepresentations in his claims:

First, it is simply wrong to assume that "sprawl" and "suburb" are
interchangable. Smart growth is not anti-suburb, that is, it is not
opposed to the geographic expansion of cities, it is concerned with
the type of development. Suburbs can be well designed to be complete
communities, with multi-modal transportation systems, or they can be
automobile-dependent sprawl.

Commute trip time is not itself a primary transportation efficiency
indicator, since commutes only represent only about 30% of total
travel time, and there are other geographic factors that affect
commute time. In particular, commute travel time tends to increase in
larger urban areas with higher level jobs (the sort of specialized
jobs that are concentrated in cities).

Other studies indicate that per capita daily minutes of driving
decrease with urbanization and smart growth. See for example Lawson's
paper, "The Urban Structure and Personal Travel: An Analysis of
Portland, or Data and Some National and International Data,
(http://www.demographia.com/dib-smg.htm , see table 18). Lawrence
Frank, Brian Stone Jr. and William Bachman ("Linking Land Use with
Household Vehicle Emissions in the Central Puget Sound:
Methodological Framework and Findings," Transportation Research D,
Vol. 5, No. 3, May 2000, pp. 173-196.) found that increases in
household and employment density, and street connectivity all tend to
reduce vehicle mileage, travel time, trips and cold starts, and as a
result tend to reduce air pollution emissions.

Cox claims that density increases congestion and pollution, measured
per square mile, an absurd reference unit. Although it is true that
the intensity of congestion increases with density, per capita
congestion delays decline, since travel distances are shorter and
people have more travel alternatives. Similarly, per capita air
pollution emissions decline with density and transportation
diversity. You can tell that Cox's claims are propaganda because he
never explains why he choose a particular unit of measurement or how
changes in such units would affect his results.

For more discussion see "Land Use Impacts on Transportation"
(http://www.vtpi.org/landtravel.pdf ), "Evaluating Criticism of Smart
Growth" (http://www.vtpi.org/sgcritics.pdf ) and "Congestion Costs"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0505.pdf , which discusses how different
ways of measuring congestion costs result in different conclusions).

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"