[sustran] Re: Guangzhou bans electric bicycles

Jimmy Tan KocAun Jimmy.Tan at komag.com
Wed Nov 29 12:19:04 JST 2006

But.. Chris, A 700C bicycle or a 26inch is a much practical commute
around the city with it's uneven road and pot holes. And not to mention
it gets you from point A to B much faster. But then again the situation
I'm in whereby I can get around the block with my bike without the help
any mix-mode of transport. I feel that whether a 700C, a folding bike or
recumbent bikes has it's place in our daily grind.

 On the Electric bicycles and luxury bikes, as a cyclist on sports
circuit and off (commuting to work and off to the park/coffee on
Sundays). Yes I do own a number of bicycles for it's different usage. As
of all bicycles whether is $10,000 or $100 it's still a bicycle to the
naked eyes of the policy makers. It this sense there are still some
guild lines in the road policies that cover a cyclist and in some
instances you are insured as well. But for Electrical bicycles as it
still new mode of transport for most places, hence a lot of road polices
hasn't been drawn up to cover them. Electrical bicycles are still in the
'grey area' whereby they are in between a bicycle and a motorbike. For
instance the speed of the Electric Bicycle is much higher then that of a
bicycle and lower then a motorbike. And do keep in mind, that Electric
bicycle is also a motorize transportation. This in most cases falls
under the motor vehicle licensing board, which one must own a license to
operate this vehicle. In the worst case, maybe it easier for policy
makers to ban them, then to start a whole new study to in cooperate then
in ones road transport system. Sad indeed.

Jimmy Tan
Just A cyclist