[sustran] Re: Guangzhou bans electric bicycles

Christof Hertel hertel at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 27 03:55:21 JST 2006

It is a little bit off topic, but still hopefully of interest:
> Even in Holland
> and Germany which have huge numbers of bicycles and very good access to
> transportation (plus quite high income levels), the bicycle is still
> perceived as basically a 'functional' means of transport - one does not
> often see expensive bicycles in these places.

We do have a lot of expensive bikes in Germany, but people who own one,
have no time to ride it, or they don´t lock them on the street.

See e.g. the following bicycle models, which all come from
car-manufacturers...:

http://www.porsche-bikes.com/default.aspx?language=en
https://www.shop.mercedes-benz.com/pkwcollection/category.htm?category=NRZLXWNxyXWIJuICjVIK1d-142
http://www.volkswagen-bikes.de/de/11g.html
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/audi_shop.html

If it is a solution to the problem is another question...

Greetings
Christof