[sustran] Re: Guangzhou bans electric bicycles

Carlos F. Pardo SUTP Carlos.Pardo at sutp.org
Mon Nov 27 02:52:41 JST 2006

Zvi,

I think expensive bicycles are normally used for sports such as mountain
biking or road riding (high end bikes of these can go up to 10k USD!). Since
I also ride bike as a sport, I have a pretty expensive mountain bike, but
what I normally ride every day is a 100 USD city bike that is about to fall
apart. I guess I want to say that the "luxury" bike is not for transport, as
is the case with the "luxury" car. It's also easier to have a "luxury bike"
and a "cheap and functional bike" than having both in cars. I think any mode
of transport should be exactly that: a mode of transport. Additional
"characteristics" of any mode such as luxury will make it (or the other
modes) less equitable, no?

Todd Litman's paper on "mobility as a positional good" is focused on a
similar issue from an economical perspective.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Coordinador de Proyecto
GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
Cl 126 # 52A-28 of 404
Bogotá D.C., Colombia
Tel:  +57 (1) 215 7812
Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662