[sustran] Re: Guangzhou bans electric bicycles

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 04:26:29 JST 2006

Yes I would say Carlos idea is very nice but there is also a word of
caution in his idea which I entirely agree. The electric bicycles are
wonderful until they dont get fast or hit other people. I feel tht if
this process is allowed then evolution of the electric bicycle into an
electric Chinese version of a Harley Davidson would be inevitable.

But here is where we have to question ourselves does clean air and no
noise is the end of our efforts for a sustainable transport? then why do
some of us dont support electric cars? My answer for these questions
would be No! electric vehicles will not help us achieve the goals of ST
as the safety issue is still unresolved. They are economically lucrative
but socially insecure.

And also I feel tht though automobile industry supports the economic
growth of a country, often calculated with GDP, i dont this it is a
socially beneficial industry as the technology increases less people are
required for operation and hence it is not a job providing sector.
Secondly, GDP as far as i know does not account for the poverty in a
country so are countries with increasing GDP's are really developing
(socially and environmentally)??? Please comment

Sunny