[sustran] Public sector specifying technology

Eric Britton Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Nov 20 22:49:25 JST 2006

Dear Friends,

Oh dear. In the wake of this enthusiastic exchange of best intentioned
views on what buses should best run on in London or indeed anywhere on
this benighted planet, I offer the following impolite commentary for
those views and counter-comments.

Any public sector agency specifying a technology to do a given job?
Ethanol, electric, hybrid, banana-driven or what have you?

This is a painful and one would hoe by now unnecessary business. Every
time I run into this sort of thing I have to shake my head and wonder
what if anything we have learned from our cumulative past experience of
the last thirty years of this kind of thing.

Public authorities know demonstrably and irrevocably N O T H I N G about
technology or how to put a viable technology package together for
operation in, say, a dense urban environment (or just about any other
while we are at it.)

So if you want a "clean" public vehicle for this or that use, you should
have a close look at the state of the art and the specific performance
parameters which reflect the best thing that you can bring aboard at
affordable cost to the taxpayer (hey, that's ME!!) and at the same time
be reliable and affordable in terms of maintenance and operation for the
poor guys who have to run the damn thing.

There are, I can observe from experience, only four reasons for
specifying the technology (including some infelicitous combination of
all four):

1.	Because you are an ideologue and this fits in with your articles
of faith.

2.	Because you are ignorant of past experience.

3.	Because you are lazy and looking for the media op of the moment
(at no matter what longer term cost).

4.	Because you are influenced by the interested economic players.

It's that simple!!!  It don't wash! (Do I have any friends left here?)

Eric Britton

*	*	*

FROM: ian.wingrove at london.gov.uk
DATE: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:15:41 -0000
SUBJECT: RE: [NewMobilityCafe] Congestion charging and polluter pays

Thanks again.

Mayor's office went to visit Stockholm a few months ago and
very interested. I bumped into a Swedish Green last weekend
and chatted about this. I will be pressing them on using
sewage as well.

Cheers

IW