[sustran] Re: rail vs road freight distribution and beyond to transportation economy

mpotter mpotter at gol.com
Mon May 22 11:13:44 JST 2006

Well said and most true.

Re economies (or lack thereof), despite  its complete dependency on
imported petroleum, Japan's per-capita mobility costs are about 1/2
what they are in the US-- 9% of the GNP as opposed to 18%.  A heavy
dependence on well-implemented electrified rail is one of the key
reasons.

And (though we're veering away from freight here), in cities where
public transit and bicycle implementations are well-executed, the
victory of the automobile is far from complete.  In Bogota, for
example, the car's trip-share is down to 13% from 17% in 1998, before
then-mayor Enrique Peñalosa's courageous (apparently he risked
impeachment) measures against cars parking on the sidewalks and
creation of bicycle-friendly infrastructure. Please refer to the
encouraging article with the admittedly exaggerated title "Bicycle is
king of the road as gas costs rise" from the May 5, 2006 International
herald Tribune for more.

Mark Potter