[sustran] Changes in Sustran?

Eric.Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue May 23 19:37:44 JST 2006

I count on Paul Barter and our other long standing members to correct me
here if I have this wrong, but I find of late that we are starting to
overload with too many often rather chatty messages, most of which are
not really helping me in my work and information on the challenges of
transport and well being in the Sustran region.  There are plenty of
places out there on the web to chat about some of the things we are now
getting here, but I am not sure that Sustran is one of them.  (Examples:
CarFree (less car really) Café at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarFreeCafe/)

Against this backdrop, here is what I would like to toss out for comment
here, in the hope that we can deal with this efficiently and then get
back to the main business of Sustran.  Should we not be thinking of
limiting ourselves to say two or three messages each per week max? Is
that too few? Too many?  Or simply a bad idea?

Admittedly I am a bit disappointed since our message yesterday on trying
to get your support for the current round of votes for the international
recognition of two outstanding, let me call them “sustainable transport
practitioners and examples”: namely Jan Gehl for his work in taming cars
and creating safe and enjoyable public spaces, and the Greenwheels group
for taking the concept of carsharing one more important step ahead –
since that message apparently got lost in the plethora of short chat
messages competing for your attention.

I know myself that when I start to get too much email from just about
any source, I do turn off. And I do not at all like the idea of turning
off from Sustran.

But tell me I am wrong.  It would not be the first time.

Eric Britton

PS. If you do want to show your support for Gehl and Greenwheels, it is
real easy. You just go to http://www.newmobility.org
<http://www.newmobility.org/> , click 2006 Awards (New) on the top menu,
and you have it there before you. You will also be able to read the
first round of supporting messages, which themselves are very
interesting.