[sustran] Born to be wild! (Just not in our cities, thanks!) was: motorcycles, Athens..

K. Tsourlakis ktsourl at mailbox.gr
Mon May 22 22:22:23 JST 2006

The problem is not to target only at motorcycles, but not to leave them out of scope e.g. labelling them as "little guys". For instance, the official policy of the greek government is currently against private automobiles and in favour of public transit, bicycles and motorcycles (of course this is the _declared_ policy, not the _implemented_ - actually Athens is unwalkable, lacks even 1 km of bike lanes, while motorcyclists gain always new privileges and car space is meticulously preserved, e.g. when tramways are designed).

I consider the SUV ban would be a positive measure, despite the dangers you mention (i.e. to be used as a substitute for more effective actions - this danger is always present in any positive measure), because it sends the correct message to the general public.

You have also to take into consideration the imminent danger lying in the spread of motorcycles, for places where their use is now marginal. Athens and other motorcycle plagued cities are a vivid paradigm on how these places may become.

Yes, I do appreciate your interest in forwarding my posting, but if they are greeks they are certainly aware of the situation in Athens. In fact it is more those who are not greek, who should be notified on where their slackness towards motorcycles can lead a city (if you think they would care about)