[sustran] Re: [carfree_cities] Re: EU laws to put brake on bikers (motorcyclists) BUT BUT BUT

K. Tsourlakis ktsourl at mailbox.gr
Mon May 22 22:17:32 JST 2006

Motorcycles resemble to bicycles in having two wheels and to automobiles in having a motor. So, it is a matter of viewpoint to consider which one is the dominant feature:
if you adopt a sustainability viewpoint, then they are on a par with automobiles
if your purpose is to fill in the city with as much traffic as possible, then they are an (lucrative for some) alternative of bicycles

Moreover, although I clearly oppose to the movement of bicycles on sidewalks, I must inform those who are not familiar with motorcycles, that for pedestrians the nuisance and dangers of motorcycles on the sidewalks are orders of magnitude more severe than that of bicycles.