[sustran] Re: Bangkok bike parking

Linda Fullerton linda.fullerton at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 9 07:10:58 JST 2006

Dear Sunny,

I agree with you that if public transport was improved more people would use it. But one needs to recognise that in Thailand the car is a highly valued status symbol. In the public eye success is determined by the number of expensive cars in the carport. Those who can afford to do so have more cars than the number of drivers in the house. Those who do so are very often high ranking police or army officials.

You said: many people say tht bike travel is not safe thts the reason they don't use bikes....if it is made safer then we can expect an increase in bike usage...

I seriously doubt it. The climate for most of the year doesn't lend itself to bike usage and - as was the case in the west a few generations ago - the bicycle is regarded as the lowest form of transport. With increased wealth one buys a motorbike - which is not only a status symbol, it's quicker, more comfortable in the heat and easier to carry more passengers/luggage.

I think it would be more productive and realistic to forget about bicycles and invest more energy into improving the public transport system. The skytrain desperately needs to be extended both in its reach and in its accessibility. But of perhaps more importance, as its improvement would benefit far higher numbers, is to focus some attention on the neglected bus system. The buses are probably the most polluting vehicles on the road network, are badly driven and are on the whole unsafe or perceived as being so. They are also cramped, hot and unpleasant. Like the bicycle they are viewed as being the lowest form of public transport.

But these of course require government policy decisions which it is difficult to influence. At development level one could encourage developers to promote public transport usage by providing a decent minibus service to pick up employees from key locations such as the nearest skytrain station if too far to walk, together with discouragement of car use by restrictions on company cars as part of a salary package and restricted parking provision.

Re: I have to agree with your comment on the 200 or 100 baht fines/bribes
(in India) but have you heard of a fine of 100 baht if you cross the
road without using a pedestrian overpass?

I meant bribes. I would love to see a survey of the number of bribes taken compared to the number of tickets issued. I estimate a ratio of perhaps 20 to 1. But that is only the visible form of corruption. Far worse is that which goes on at the higher levels which influences what infrastructure is built, when and by whom. It is a sad fact that corruption governs Thailand. Until corruption is seriously tackled the transport system will not improve.

I'm sure the government would enjoy being encouraged to fine a pedestrian for crossing a road instead of providing adequate pedestrian crossing facilities. Imposing fines would achieve nothing other than further alienating the ordinary person and further lining the pockets of the police. Count the number of footbridges along Bangna-Trad Road, for instance, and you will understand why people prop ladders against the barriers in the central reserve to help them cross - often a total of 10 busy traffic lanes with dual 3 lane carriageway plus 2 lanes of service road each side - instead of walking five miles to the nearest footbridge. The effects on transport at local level do not seem to be considered as part of highway schemes.

Regards,
Linda.

.