[sustran] Re: Incident on the National Highway of India

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Mon May 8 05:49:39 JST 2006

whoops. Why are they driving on the US Side? That aside, this is EXACTLY
what Mayor Penalosa and I observed in Dec. 2004 driving from Delhi to
Agra. People running
across the road, 18 wheelers running camel drivers across the road,
etc.

>>> eric.britton at ecoplan.org 05/07/06 4:05 PM >>>
We were talking about images of the reality of the road of India just
the other day, and as I result I went into out Gender, Equity and
Transport site at http://www.gatnet.net/ to take the first small steps
to build up photographic evidence. Here you have image number 4 in
this
collection.  Sadly.

Three burnt alive in road accident in A.P.

Staff Reporter

CHOWTUPPAL: Three persons, including a two-year-old boy and his
mother,
were killed in a road accident when a speeding lorry ran over two
motorcycles near Khaitapuram village in Chowtuppal mandal on the
National Highway No. 9 on Saturday morning. Two others were also
critically injured in the accident.

The lorry carrying a load of onions from Hyderabad to Vijayawada was
totally destroyed in the fire that erupted after it hit the
motorcycles
and dragged them along for over a distance of 70 feet. The impact was
such that sparks flew as the motorcycles were dragged and the petrol
tanks burst and soon fire engulfed the lorry.

As the morning traffic on the busy highway screeched to a halt and the
passengers watched in horror, bodies of three motorcyclists caught
fire.
The lorry crew have fled. Fire engines brought the fire under control.

Source:
<http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/07/stories/2006050704360600.htm>
http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/07/stories/2006050704360600.htm