[sustran] Re: rail vs road freight distribution

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:21:30 JST 2006

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your comments. In my opinion Indian railway system mostly
connects every nook and corner of the country including the small
villages. This is the only reason why the railways are the most used
means of transport in India and especially by the poor. Secondly coming
to the point of giving options for the farmers, the scene in India as
far as I know and experienced is that the farmers do not directly do the
sales but rather the middle persons do it. They buy the yield from the
farmers and take them to the nearby cities, as agriculture is the major
occupation of the country most of the states produce their food and
where there is need of shipment it is done usually by a goods train.
What I intended to say from my post is that building new roads would
encourage the middle men to use their own lorries which they feel would
reduce the travel time but on the other hand there will be an increased
ownership of lorries. But on the other hand this would be a negative
impact to the society as there is an increased risk of accidents and the
lorry travel has its own economic impacts as Todd has cited in his
latest reply.

Coming to HIV and relation to lorry drivers is important as there was
not much improvement among some social groups on creating an awareness
on condom usage. Some groups have opposed the idea of providing condom
vending machines in public places saying that it is a shame on the
society. I don't advocate lorry removal but suggest to increase the rail
usage for freight purposes.

Sunny