[sustran] Fair Transport - comments

Eric.Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri May 5 03:03:12 JST 2006

Thanks Anzir,

As always your comments are first rate and challenging.  What I have
done just below is that I have stripped our the FT Labeling section in
the latest Jacobs Rule draft - you can see the full thing, today's
version, if you click the Open Blog link on the top menu of
http://www.newmobility.org - which may show a few advances over the
earlier draft notes on this.  I hope that what follows and indeed the
whole schmear will be worthy of further comments and suggestions. This
is collective intelligence at work and that, I am convinced, is our only
way out.

Eric Britton

From: Fair Transport -Jacobs' Rules

(http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2006/05/fair-transport-jacobs-rul
es-tribute.html)

Fair Transport Labeling

This is a proposal concerning which we would be grateful to have your
comments:

Specifically, it presents a kind of eco-labeling concept that has
certain similarities with Fairtrade labeling (see below for a short
definition), but it is entirely focused on the identification and
support of concepts and programs that are able to meet or show
meaningful progress in terms of a certain number of specific performance
and other social, economic and technical parameters.

Fairtrade labelling is a  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand> brand
designed to allow  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers> consumers to
identify goods which meet agreed standards. The system involves
independent auditing of producers to ensure standards are met. Companies
offering products that meet the standards are licensed to use the fair
trade label. Standards are set by the independent NGO Fairtrade
Labelling Organizations International on behalf of a number of national
bodies for each type of product. Typically standards cover
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Labor_standard&action=edit>
labor standards,  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_standard>
environmental standards, and stable pricing.

>From  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairtrade>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairtrade (with some slight rearrangement)

Who/what qualifies:

*	Types of vehicles
*	Specific vehicles
*	Power and fuel sources
*	Transportation systems (such as LRT, BRT, paratransit,
carsharing, shared taxi implementation, etc.)
*	Public space and interface projects
*	Towns, cities, neighborhoods
*	Production systems
*	Innovative programs (Local, regional, etc.)
*	Noteworthy individual contributions
*	Media/productions

Criteria:

*	Jacobs' Rules (and that's all!)

Organization and delivery:

*	Process?
*	Funding?
*	Evaluation/verification?
*	Prizes?
*	International Advisory Council -
<http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm>
http://www.ecoplan.org/kyoto/challenge/panel.htm

Fair Transport Label credibility:

1. How meaningful is the Fair Transport label?

2. How do we verify that the label standards are met?

3. Is the meaning of the label consistent?

4. Are the label standards publicly available?

5. Is information about the organization publicly available?

6. Is the organization behind the label free from conflict of interest?

7. Was the label developed with broad public and unbiased expert input?

Interim Comment: The idea as I see it will not be to try to hand a Fair
Transport label on every half decent project or implementation all over
the place, but rather to begin to create a kind of 'honor role' of
places and ways of doing things that the world needs to know more bout.
Now I am aware that there are plenty of Best Practices et al projects
all over the place, but what may make the Fair Transport Label a
meaningful addition, is that it lends itself to a more explicit, agreed,
respected set of criteria and process.

On Behalf Of Anzir Boodoo