[sustran] Re: "India is on the road to a transport revolution"

Alan Howes Alan.Howes at cbuchanan.co.uk
Thu May 4 17:32:08 JST 2006

Thanks Todd.  I do rather feel that if Daryl spent as much time
promoting ETT as he does rubbishing rail that the former would be more
advanced by now.

Just one or two quick points -

US Railfreight is growing rapidly at present (and US railroad stocks are
on the up and up).  Over long distances (the sort of distance we are
talking about in India) rail's modal share of TONS is high - I don't
have the figures to hand but I would guess something like 80% or more.
And it's the tons that need the infrastructure, not the dollars.  Who
would even think of trucking coal from Wyoming to the Mississippi (let
alone airfreight!)?  But US rail is also making inroads in markets such
as contracting to UPS, fruit and veg, etc.  Not to mention the huge flow
of containers from West Coast ports.

In the UK at least, many inter-urban passenger rail services are now
genuinely profitable - a positive result of the involvement of the
private sector in operation (and again numbers are rising rapidly).  And
that's despite excessive track access charges under the UK's decidedly
messy "privatised" rail regime.

I claim limited expertise on Indian urban transport, and hardly any on
inter-urban and rural.  But I suspect that what is needed is a
re-invigoration of the rail system, which is government owned and run,
heavily subsidised, and I'll bet it takes a LONG time to get a box-car
(or the Indian equivalent) from (say) Mumbai to Chennai.

But what do Indians have to say on this?

Alan

--
Alan Howes
Associate Transport Planner