[sustran] Re: "India is on the road to a transport revolution"

Daryl Oster et3 at et3.com
Thu May 4 09:08:05 JST 2006

Sunny,

Railroads were designed (optimized) to haul massive loads between two
locations.  Their efficiency goes down considerably when they are called
upon to service a high number of access points(nodes).

It is well documented in network theory that the usefulness of a network is
proportional to the number of nodes squared.

The cost of servicing a transportation access point (node) with rail is more
than ten times the cost of servicing it with a road; therefore the cost of
accessibility of roads is more than a hundred times better than the cost of
accessibility of rail.

Of course, the proof of this is ancient history in the US and most of
Europe; trains had a 95% share of the value of cargo transport in 1910 in
the US, and now they have less than a 20% share, and even airplanes carry
more cargo value than trains do.  The very high node access cost of train
access (both money and time) is the main reason.

There are many well intended do-gooders who mistakenly promote rail as
having accessibility advantages over cars/roads - this view is proven false
upon technical analysis AND in the vast majority of the many markets where
it has been tested.  The false view that trains offer better accessibility
is carefully fostered by the rail industry that has a huge vested interest
in maintaining the grip on the mammary of government funding.

The truth is that cars on roads provide much better access to transportation
than trains, and those who seek equity for the poor would be better advised
to build roads and provide cars than to provide trains.  This is why trains
have been displaced to niche markets by the car in developed countries.
Passenger trains only survive by firmly latching onto the mammary of
government to prevent the birth and nurture of more sustainable
transportation technology.  This is why most people in developing countries
aspire to use motorcycles and or cars.

Virtually all societies frown on a toothless grandpa or grandma nursing from
their daughters mammary while the new born baby grandchild goes unfed.  Why
is it that the rail industry is not admonished for doing the same thing??

It is obvious that there are problems associated with the adoption of the
car, and that a better form of transportation is needed.  Grandpa rail would
have us believe that rail is better than cars, and with self serving lies
railroaders promote government funded train transportation projects, and
government funded rail operating subsidies.

What IS needed to solve the energy and environmental sustainability
limitations of cars is to implement transportation technologies like ETT
that offer at least a ten-fold improvement in transportation value.

Compared to trains, planes, and automobiles; ETT requires less than 1/50th
as much fuel, and creates 1/50th as much pollution per passenger kilometer.
The cost of providing ETT accessibility is about 1/4th the cost of providing
freeway accessibility; and less than a tenth the cost of providing rail
accessibility.

For the task that trains were optimized for (moving tons of coal from mine
to points of major use) ETT can be implemented and operated for about the
same cost, leaving the ONLY advantage of trains to move loads that cannot be
reduced to weighing more than the 400kg payload of an optimally sized ETT
capsule.  Such loads represent less than 5% of cargo transported by rail.

Daryl Oster
(c) 2006  all rights reserved.  ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
e-tube, e-tubes,  and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service marks
of et3.com Inc.  For licensing information contact: POB 1423, Crystal River
FL 34423-1423  (352)257-1310, et3 at et3.com , www.et3.com