[sustran] Re: U.S. Mayors Respond to Washington Leadership Vacuum on Climate Change

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Thu May 4 06:05:42 JST 2006

Yes Seattle does have an interesting mix of civic activism and wealthy
libertarians, combined with a general appreciation of the "active
outdoor lifestyle" so common in the Pacific Northwest. This results in
populist transportation decisions being made by public referendums (a
ban on tolls in general, limiting transit investment to a fixed
percentage of the overall transportation budget - which includes
infrastructure projects - ie roads, etc.). The  planners are stuck
coming up with development scenarios which consider /*less*/ public
transit options in the future and the rich fill their Mercedes SUV's
with bio-diesel!

At least they are discussing these issues though, as opposed to just
leaving their heads in the sand....

ZVi