[sustran] Re: U.S. Mayors Respond to Washington Leadership Vacuumon Climate Change

Lee Schipper SCHIPPER at wri.org
Thu May 4 05:05:51 JST 2006

Well put, Eric. And not to mention the monorail boondoggle in Seattle.

>>> Eric Bruun <ericbruun at earthlink.net> 5/3/2006 2:37:19 PM >>>
Todd E

As a Seattle native and one who has been following developments there
closely, allow me to express
my skepticism.

Seattle is a faux green city. Lots of talk. little action. The car
remains king with few places that bus transit
gets preferential treatment. Bus headways are also longer than average
for a city of its size and density due to excessive use of articulated
buses in a misguided attempt to save money. The corridor that actually
needed rail transit the most - University District to Downtown  -- is
still many years from completion. Politicians insisted on an extremely
expensive, deep, and long tunnel instead of street running because they
didn't want to take any lanes from cars.

I note that there have been numerous struggles for years to improve
transit there, with anti-tax groups, futurists who claim rail transit is
obsolete, and the state's own gag laws against public officials in the
runup to elections all helping torpedo almost every important proposal.
The futurists and anti-tax people said to improve buses instead, but
this was probably insincere. They knew that bus lanes were very unlikely
given the car-is-king attitude of most politicians. Support for transit
from these "environmentalist" politicians in the face of these groups
has been lukewarm, but efforts by the same politicians to reopen the one
pedestrian area in downtown to cars and to build two expensive stadiums
has been strong.

The transit investment package that would actually have made a dent in
the transportation problems of the three county region and that the
public ultimately voted on in 1995 won in King County where Seattle is
located. It lost by small margins in the counties to the north and
south, so the politicians decided to not build any of it. Meanwhile most
politicians didn't want people to vote on the stadiums. One of them got
forced on to the ballot and it got voted down. It was built anyway.
Meanwhile the City and State claim poverty when it comes to keeping
school buildings in good repair.  (The truncated project approved in
1996 is nothing but a minor start on a huge, utterly unsustainable
transportation mess involving horrendous automobile traffic, huge
volumes of trucks, and a congested freight railroad network due to the
huge container port. It is also taking a pathetic 13 years to be
completed.)

One more thing. Paul Allen, the third richest person in the world got
his new football stadium at public expense. He could have built it with
pocket change. He  bought a personal yacht for $200 Million! Can it be
coincidence that most polticians are actually enthusiastic about one
particular transit project? It is a streetcar that will connect downtown
with Paul Allen's new real estate developments. The only green that most
politicians in Washington State are concerned about is the paper that is
died green.

Eric Bruun