[sustran] Re: "India is on the road to a transport revolution"

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Wed May 3 23:04:24 JST 2006

Dear John,

In my opinion if the problem is shipment then it can be fulfilled with
out building new road and by efficiently using the existing railway
network or by adding new goods/cargo trains, this can even generate
income and jobs thereby benefiting the jobless both at the source and
the destination, expanding our highways and bringing more larger and
multi-speed gear boxes will only be a burden as they have to be imported
and their number will be very small for an investment like increasing
the overall highway structure for which the large truck users might not
legally contribute anything. On comparison to Bangkok I have recently
been on road to Chiang Rai, the north of Thailand and to my surprise I
have not seen even one toll post charging the cars which I am familiar
with in India and my friend was driving never less than 100 kmph.

Using the railway as I said earlier will reduce the unemployment and
also the travel time as there will be a pressure for quality on the
railways, better roads might be a good answer but roads built solely for
freight will not be a good answer, if anyone is familiar with HIV in
India it can be found that the HIV cases are more among the lorry
drivers. I would be thankful if anyone can throw more light on this
issue, I think Eric would be the one as I have seen him as a moderator
on GATNET.

Sunny