[sustran] Re: Fair Transport - The Jane Jacobs Rules

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Wed May 3 18:51:07 JST 2006

Hi,

I have a BIG problem with the following:

> 4.	Balanced Modes: Provides full and equal treatment of all forms
> of mobility (human-powered, public transport, intermediate/shared
> transport forms, motorized private transport) in the areas of planning,
> financing  and infrastructure provision, maintenance and operation.
> Given the act that the majority of people are not car owner/drivers non
> own-car solutions should be heavily favored.

> 5.	Full Access for All: Provides full, fair and safe access to
> people of all ages, conditions of health, economic situation and in
> terms of where they live and work. Convenient rural accessibility to all
> services and functions is critical.

FIRST comes "full and equal", then a little later "heavily favoured" then
in the next section "full, fair, safe to people of all ages, etc"

Can we please make up our minds? Isnt this populist transport talk? A
street for cars needs more space, and even a couple cars per hour destroys
most other opportunities on the street. "Share the road" sounds nice but
is ulimately just a bunch of nonsense. Climate change is happening,
people! The little Dutch boy cant get to the dike to put his finger in the
hole because there is too much traffic. Why start in a compromised
position?

Anyway, perhaps I should apologize, as this discussion seems to be just
not for me: The issue, in my view, should be "Fair Cities", with transport
just being a part of it. The closest, easiest, most pleasant and least
energy-using access to things, not access to transport means.

Best thing to do might be to stop teaching urban planning, architecture
and transport as separate subjects.

Bye,

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator