[sustran] Fair transport - comments

Eric.Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon May 1 23:39:42 JST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Alice Maynard [mailto:alice at futureinclusion.com]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 3:07 PM
To: eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Subject: Fair transport

Hello Eric

I will like the concept of fair transport a great deal if it does what
'sustainable transport' never quite managed to do - i.e. incorporate the
notion of accessibility - not in the jargonistic transport sense, but in
the sense that we mere mortals use it.  I don't want to use the term
'disabled access' although that's one distinction I make when talking to
transport professionals.  It's about more than that - it's dignified,
socially enhancing access for everyone.  You touch on it in mentioning
gender issues, but I'd like it to be a little broader, and perhaps more
explicit.  In my experience, if it isn't mentioned explicitly it isn't
addressed - it just gets lost, despite everyone's best intentions.

Alice