[sustran] Re: Chinese tax for big cars

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Fri Mar 31 01:39:07 JST 2006

Help what? Taxes on luxury cars may be justified on equity grounds
(to "soak the rich"), but a strategy that simply increases average
fuel economy will reduce the per-mile cost of driving, which tends to
increase annual mileage per vehicle, offsetting some of the energy
savings and increasing most other transportation problems including
congestion, accidents, risk to non-drivers, road and parking facility
costs, sprawl, and many types of pollution. See "Efficient Vehicles
Versus Efficient Transportation" (http://www.vtpi.org/cafe.pdf ).

I've seen environmentalists devote excessive effort to one or two
energy conservation strategies, such as CAFE standards and Feebates,
while overlooking far more effective and beneficial strategies such
as road and parking pricing reforms, converting fixed vehicle fees to
pay-as-you-drive pricing, and increasing investment in alternative
modes. Focusing on just one planning objective at a time, such as
increased fuel economy, often results in planning decisions that
solve one problem but exacerbate others, making society worse off
overall. True sustainability requires more comprehensive
decision-making, which finds true "Win-Win" solutions, that is,
solutions to one problem that also help solve other economic, social
and environmental problems, or at least avoid making them worse
(http://www.vtpi.org/winwin.pdf ).

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"