[sustran] Re: Metro/rail transfer by lift/elevator in China or ?

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Mar 30 19:24:10 JST 2006

Hi Alok!

I realise that HK is in many ways a "vertical city" BUT what I am
specifically talking about is transfer stations which use lifts.

So, this means metro to metro, rail to metro, metro to BRT, etc. Anything
that needs high capacity in two vertical directions simultaneously, and is
also fast enough to keep people happy. Also, where vertical transfer is
the exclusive means of transfer.

The capacity needed is high, but of course this figure is
location-specific and I cannot speculate on what it would be here.

The Portland example was good to a point, but I dont think it served as
the means of transfer between two high-capacity means of PT.

The... other thing is that, for example in the evening, the metro would be
producing more humans than the suburban/commuter train could eat, so to
speak. The trains in two directions would probably be coming at 7,5 to 10
minute intervals, but the metro would be have one to two minute headways
at the same time. The metros are at their minimum interval, but I am not
sure how close the trains could be spaced, and in case not all of the
train stations would need such closely spaced trains, and then there is
the rolling stock issue. There are trams involved, too!

This discussion has treaded into serious transport engineering discussion
territory, and I dont expect anyone to consult for free... but I dont want
to erase the above. So, just the facts and photos on any relevant lift
systems would be great.

- T

p.s. I wanted to find something cute to finish this email and accidentally
found something with a partly Asian theme, I suppose:

http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_Dancer/elephant.html
(from Sesame Street)

edelman at greenidea.info