[sustran] Re: Chinese tax for big cars

Lee Schipper SCHIPPER at wri.org
Thu Mar 30 01:16:54 JST 2006

For a vbit of history, japan removed its luxury tax on the largest engines in 1990, and their numbers (as shares of new cars sold) nearly doubled.
Italy, it is rumored, audits tax returns of those who buy engines above a certain size * certainly a great incentive.

Denmark taxes new cars according to their tested fuel economy, the better the fuel economy, the (slightly) lower the tax. When you are taxing cars at roughly 200% its easy to give or take a few percentages. The original tax was on the yearly reg fee, but some now appears on new vehicles.

>>> edelman at greenidea.info 3/29/2006 11:05:23 AM >>>
>Carlos F. Pardo wrote:

> Only for cars with engines over four liters, but it could help�

I DONT know. Seems like quite a mixed-bag:

Taxes on vehicles over four litres go up, so manufacturers will figure out
ways to get just below four litres, then add other things to boost power.
And the result will be the same number of smaller cars. But then more
space available, so more small cars, and you are back to square one, or
further back.

Disposable cutlery should be illegal or be recycled by law. Or the price
should be so high that people think twice about using it. I realise that
means more energy for washing. How about if companies just make nice
permanent chopsticks with ads on them, etc, if it is too expensive for
restaurants, etc?

Assuming the rates arent completely unacceptable now, taxing cigarettes,
alcohol, jet fuel, automobile tires, and motorcycles at lower rates is
insane... that is the only word for it. (Looks like some lobbyists are
doing their job, I hope they used non-disposable chopsticks when they took
the politicians out to lunch).

- T

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator
On the Train Towards the Future!

Green Idea Factory
Laubova 5
CZ-13000 Praha 3

++420 605 915 970

edelman at greenidea.info
http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

Green Idea Factory,
a member of World Carfree Network

SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.