[sustran] Re: Metro/rail transfer by lift/elevator in China or ?

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Thu Mar 30 00:50:47 JST 2006

> I believe the Hong Kong subway (MTA) uses some high-capacity
> lifts.  ... and Hong Kong is a good place in general to study lifts
> as intra-building transport modes.
>
> best,
> John

THANKS, John. I also got some info offlist which led me to more about one
of the stations in the Portland, Oregon, USA light rail system:

"...Washington Park Station is the only stop in the 3-mile-long light rail
tunnels through Portland's West Hills. At 260 feet underground, it is the
deepest transit station in North America, and the second-deepest in the
world. Passengers travel from the underground platform to the surface in
four high-speed elevators. Each elevator can comfortably carry up to 39
people from platform to street level in about 20 seconds..."

If anyone has details on MTA systems, including photos, please let me
know. Best of course is the engineers themselves who figured out how many
and how big and how fast the lifts had or have to be.

Getting a big lift or lifts designed and installed is not the problem,
making sure you dont have lots of people waiting around is. For the
suburban train-metro link I am talking about, metro intervals would be
from 1 to 8 or 9 minutes, so missing one is not a big problem. But the
trains themselves would run every 15-30 minutes (during daytime), so if
the lifts are not designed properly from the beginning it will be a
failure if they move too slow or there are not enough them to get people
down to the tracks on time.

Since this topic is not about Asia nor most public transport systems, I
suggest that people write me OFFLIST.

- T

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator