[sustran] Help, Bycicle Organization in Dar es Salaam

Gregorio Villacorta Alegria goyotech at yahoo.es
Fri Mar 24 00:46:54 JST 2006

Hallo grupo,I have received this email, I would like somebody can help them

  This email is to inform you that a group of cyclists in Dar es Salaam have recently set up UWABA - Umma wa Wapanda Baisikeli Dar es Salaam.  We also recently registered as an NGO with the Government.

  Our aims are to make cycling a safer and and more pleasant form of transport in Dar es Salaam and to promote cycling as a sustainable means of transport for the city.  Among our immediate activities are establishing contacts with the relevant Government authorities so we can participate in road planning, promoting workplaces to become bicycle friendly by installing washing facilities and taking part in events such as the Tanzania Social Forum.

  I am from Ireland originally although I have lived (and cycled) in Dar es Salaam for many years, while our chairperson and the majority of members are Tanzanians who use bicycles, tricycles and disabled-hand-cycles as their common means of transport in the city.  So far we have 45 members and we meet regulary every Saturday.

  We hope you are interested in this initiative and can support us in our efforts by putting us in contact with relevant people and giving us advice.

  For further details see our website www.geocities.com/uwabadar or feel free to contact us.

  Best wishes
  Elaine Baker
  uwabadar at yahoo.co.uk

                    Saludos
  Regards
  Gregorio Villacorta Alegría, B.Sc
  Research Assistant for Schorrell Analysis
  www.schorrell-analysis.de
  Móvil  : 0051429670008
  Skype: goyotech
  Email  : goyotech at yahoo.es