[sustran] Re: Anjali's Mail

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:59:04 JST 2006

A very interesting thing that Anjali has put focus on is the traffic
plan in B'lore. If seen from the site (Hindu) there is not much explicit
TDM being implemented but rather dividing the city into zones and
building "small flyovers" which I feel is not a way to relieve
congestion. From my understanding of the article from "Hindu" I see that
effort is being made in increasing the personnel controlling the traffic
but no effort is done in TDM terms like reducing the lanes for cars, and
increasing the other modes which can trigger a modal shift and robust
funding model was specified but the source of funds was not.

 From my observation in Bangkok, which obviously is more congested than
Bangalore at least at the moment, I feel that any measure taken to make
the car journey easy will only result in a worsened state for cars. On
the other hand if the PT and NMT are encouraged it will result in a
small and high density living with less car usage. I could suggest
Bangalore to focus more on car restraint policies rather than car safety
policies.

The other link (Times of India) that Anjali directed in her earlier mail
talks about pricing. It is true that London and Singapore have
advantaged out of such schemes but the strategy was implemented in the
city centres, but implementing it in NH might not result in a ease of
traffic in the city unless the working people travel on the national
highway to work. Such pricing schemes could be implemented on the
congested roads or roads with high car volumes during the peak hours, I
guess MG and Brigade road are quite high in traffic. This will
discourage riders to drive but shift to public transport, should it be
of quality and comfortable both economically and in appeal.

On the whole I would suggest that more preference for the Mass Transit,
making car driving harder, strict enforcing of speed limits, increasing
greenery on main roads, and keeping the vulnerable groups in mind while
planning by not taxing them with pedestrian overpasses will surely ease
B'lore's malaise.

Sunny

Santhosh Kumar K
Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies,
Mahidol University,
Thailand
sksunny at gmail.com
sunnysanthosh at gmail.com