[sustran] A little order in our sprawling virtual world of old and new mobility ideas and communications

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Mar 20 23:07:57 JST 2006

Just in case you have not noticed, we live in a world of egregious
information overload. How to manage and still have access to the positive
fruits of these valuable tools of information access and sharing is a bit of
a challenge to us all?

We face this hugely in our New Mobility Agenda work, given the manner in
which we try to span and stay abreast of not only developments and events in
the (a) full range of transport modes and in (b) the directly related fields
involved (bearing in mind that at least half of the answers to the problems
that are first identified as accruing to our unsustainable transportation
arrangements have in fact their solutions or at least their mitigation in
areas which are well outside of the usual transport policy focus), but also
(c) the fact that we feel that the only way to go about all this is from a
world perspective. Hmm.

Sustran-Discuss: Let me start with a current example of an information
source that is closely related to our New Mobility Agenda, and which some of
you at least should at the very least occasionally check out and others
probably to subscribe directly to receive their bulletins and notices --
Sustran-Discuss, a first class forum and information source devoted to
discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a
focus on developing countries. Here is how we try to integrate this flow of
materials and intelligent into the New Mobility Agenda and this Café, with a
minimum of needless duplication.

If you go to http://www.newmobility.org <http://www.newmobility.org/>  and
click Talking New Mobility of the top menu, you will be taken to a page with
that title which identifies several dozen relation fora and discussion
groups which at the very least you should be aware of – and some of which
you may do well to participate in and check our regularly. Sustran is one
good example -- but as you will see if you take a bit of time with this page
far from the only one.

Now since we are aware that not all of you have yet to sort your way through
this wwwj – world wide jungle – we nonetheless from time to time copy to
this fine Café and Idea Factory some of the ongoing discussions from Sustran
and yet others. But more generally we hope that you will take their measure
and then make your own arrangements.

Page in process: Finally, you note that the Talking NewMob page is still far
from complete, so if you have a discussion group, forum or Listserve fro us
that relates to our mission, please let us hear from you and we can do the
necessary.

What would be the PS for this note? Might it be that sustainable
transportation is not for the lazy?  ;-)

.