[sustran] Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 31, Issue 14

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 22:45:35 JST 2006

I agree to Eric's comment on me using the "appalling" term. The
inefficiency of PT in Bangkok is also a cause of the city being infested
with cars. But on the other hand I doubt if the Skytrain can be termed
as a Elite transit because most of the trips on the Skytrain, according
to a recent study, were at the stations of Siam (MBK Shopping), Onunt
and Mochit (Terminal stations on both sides and Mochit famous for the
Jatuchak Weekend Market), Victory monument (Bus center). I guess most of
these destinations were favourable for the tourists and it was also
found that the maximum ridership of 537,XXX was on the December 9th,
2005 while the previous record was on the 16th Nov, 2005 (Loy Krathong
Festival day). During weekends or long weekends most of the wealth
people often not stay in Bangkok while go to the tourist detinations or
their suburban farm houses and usually in their own personal cars and
during the days traffic jam can be noticed in all the above mentioned
major centers where Skytrain operates, the traffic jams constitute
mainly the wealthy cars (BMW's, VW, Lexus, SUV's Alfa-Romeos etc etc). I
agree with Eric on the ridership shift for Skytrain but i feel that this
change in ridership is mainly by the higher middle class people who work
in these centres and also the students who visit these areas for their
tuition classes and also due to the hike in the fuel prices, which are
not exactly a burden for the rich.

 From my personal observation here in Bangkok the major contributors to
the traffic jams are the ones who own a pickup truck followed by the
midsized cars, the taxis and motorbikes. I have not seen a large school
bus and i presume that the parents first drop their children at school
and then head to their office. If public tansport including the BRT and
MRT (subway) has good network connections with affordable fares and
interlinkage in the fare system, the situation would be better.

I guess I can use the word polluting for the buses. On my interview with
some car owners I found that they are afraid to walk or use the bus
because the climate polluting and hot, making them sit in the cars with
raised windows and air conditioning turned on!. This consumes more fuel
and more emissions making the temperature more hot.

A partial solution i see for Bangkok is giving preference to the mass
transit,  reducing the replication of routes on the PT  and following
strict bus only lanes and also implement strict charging systems for car
users. I would be glad if experts here could comment on my idea and
clarify me.

Sunny