[sustran] Fwd: Experts for more roads in city (See Lee Schipper comments onthis)

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Mon Mar 20 20:05:01 JST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sujit Patwardhan <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Date: Mar 20, 2006 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [sustran] Experts for more roads in city (See Lee Schipper
comments onthis)
To: eric.britton at ecoplan.org, Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport <
sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>
Cc: Lee Schipper <schipper at wri.org>

Dear Eric,
You are amazing. How did you get this so quick?
I was at this meeting. Lee Schipper has been grossly misquoted and has sent
a message to the Indian Express, Pune edition accordingly. I don't think the
paper has printed his letter and owned up for the error, yet.
I have forwarded to you Lee's message saying that he has been grossly
misquoted by the paper.
With warm regards,
--
Sujit

On 3/20/06, Eric Britton <eric.britton at ecoplan.org > wrote:

>    *Experts for more roads in city*

*Express News Service*<http://www.expressindia.com/about/feedback.html?mailto=vvdeshmukh@expressindia.com>

*Pune, March 17:* EMBARQ, a World Research Initiative Centre for Transport
and Environment, stressed on the need for the city to increase the
percentage of land use for transport from 4 per cent to 20-22 per cent to
stem the traffic problems. Presenting the findings before Municipal
Commissioner Nitin Kareer on Friday before, EMBARQ's director of research,
Lee Schipper suggested that more roads are necessary for tackling the
traffic problems.

Funded by Swedish Institute of Development Authority, EMBARQ has been
studying traffic woes of Pune, Xian in China and Hanoi in Vietnam under the
project Partnership for Sustainable Urban Transport in Asia (PSUTA) to
suggest ways of coping up with increasing traffic.

Schipper said that compared to the other two cities, Pune's traffic
comprises two-wheelers, autorickshaws, buses all plying on narrow roads in
downtown parts. ''Pune has less vehicle speed (12 km/hr) in comparison wih
the two cities and the traffic fatality is minimum here.''

He said that Nalstop and Swargate chowks have higher traffic density
compared to Bhosari — an industrial area. EMBARQ study revealed that around
60 percent, is directly exposed to air pollution.

Advocating Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) in the city, Schipper blamed the
city planners for failing to undertake any impact study to calculate the
improvements done after implementations of projects.

Experts from Central Institute of Road Transport (CIRT) underlined fifty
indicators for ascertaining a sustainable transport system and recommended
monitoring the indicators by conducting frequent trend analysis to ensure
transport in the city.

[* eb: We'd like to see (a) that list and (b) how Pune fared in it. Can
anyway get this to the group????]*

Source: http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=174140

SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
(the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is
on urban transport policy in Asia.

Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com
sujitjp at gmail.com