[sustran] Re: Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 31, Issue 11

Guevarra, Joselito Lomada cvegjl at nus.edu.sg
Fri Mar 17 18:18:12 JST 2006

You are absolutely right. A lot of cars running on the street does not
necessarily equate to prosperity in a particular country. Rather, it is
a symptom of larger malaise in which people cannot depend, or will not
depend, on public transport to take them to where they want to go. For
example, in the Philippines, the dream is to own a car because of the
sorry state of public transport and the pollution that go with it. It is
not uncommon for a middle class family of, say 5, to own 5 cars or maybe
more (to circumvent the so-called color coding where certain plate
numbers are banned on certain days)! Owning a car is not a luxury
anymore but a necessity...in this case anyway...

Cheers,

Joselito L. Guevarra
Research Engineer