[sustran] Re: Automobility or Accessibility

Lee Schipper SCHIPPER at wri.org
Wed Mar 15 17:46:31 JST 2006

I just arrivedin Bangalore and I was appalled at how the number of private vehicles has grown since I first started
coming here in 2001....

>>> sujit at vsnl.com 3/15/2006 12:40:03 AM >>>

Today Bangalore city's bus sytem is the most efficient, reliable and
profitable in the whole country but with the number of auto vehicles growing
at cancerour rate in the city and auto centric infrastructure carried out by
the administration (road widening, more roads, and flyovers) in the last few
years it is unlikely that the pubic transport buses will be able to maintain
their high performance levels for many more years.

This is because infrastructure policies do not (yet) recognize that unless
the city gives priority to public transport, all the expensive investments
in roads and flyovers will come to nought. Going by the needs of the
MAJORITY the city needs better pedestrain facilities, cycle tracks and
public transport infrastructure which means BUS LANES and NOT flyovers. It
also means TDM measures so that people are encouraged to shift to public
transport and made to pay more realistic costs if they want to persist using
personal vehicles.

As far as I'm aware, this is not on the city's agenda at the moment. Just
buying a few Volvo buses is not going to do much for improving the condition
of public transport. And now that the city has committed itself to the
hugely expensive Metro it is difficult to imagine where the money will come
from for above measures (bus lanes, pedestrian facilities and cycle tracks).

On 3/15/06, Vittal Kumar A. <vittalkumar_a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> very helpful like there can be a BRT, Bus, Train.
>
> So investing on parking provision will not be a good idea. As from my
> understanding of Todd Litmans publications, as long as a city provides a
> safe way and room for cars there will always be an increase in their
> number and in the future this might lead to an utter traffic chaos. I
> see it everyday here in Bangkok. Bangkok first in the early days had a
> good and waterway network, followed by a good bus and tram network and
> was the second city in Asia after Japan (sometime in the 1887)...but
> today it is utter chaos and many of us here will agree to that....If
> chennai does not hope to become a Bangkok of India it would be wise to
> opt for a Transit and Non-motorised options and not for the flyovers and
> more cars.
>
> Sunny
>
> Dear Alan, Regina, Carlos and Lloyd,
>
> As Lloyd and Carlos suggested shifting to cycle rickshaws wo uld be a
> wise option but it has to be noted that cycle rickshaws can provide
> service for short trips which can also be done by a walk and a bicycle
> trip. Encouraging more NMT and introducing the idea of shared space in
> come junctions of Mumbai would be a very nice option, car drivers should
> notice that they are not the only users of the road but also the road
> serves for several other modes. Implementing BRT would be a better
> option as it takes the space from the car users and gives it to the
> disadvantaged. BRT has a proven record of reducing crime rates and Lloyd
> and Carlos are the best persons who can talk more on this. Cities like
> Bogotá and Curitiba have experienced this and encouraging pedestrian
> areas also is a strategy for reducing car dependency. Even in Mumbai
> increasing parking space will not be an option. At first it can be
> implemented area-wise and then extended. Glasgow is a good example for
> this, a city that changed from a notorious state to a pleasant.
>
> Changing the look of rickshaws will be a very good idea. This has been
> implemented in many places of Europe and in Japan there has been a
> hybrid rickshaw which can run both on a battery and pedal power. On the
> other hand they can even generate income among the lower class of the
> society
>

> Sincerely,
> Todd Alexander Litman
> Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
> litman at vtpi.org
> Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
> 1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
> "Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"

> (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is
> on urban transport policy in Asia.
>

> ------------------------------
> Relax. Yahoo! Mail virus scanning<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/virusall/*http://communications.yahoo.com/features.php?page=221>helps detect nasty viruses!

> (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is

Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com
sujitjp at gmail.com

"Yamuna",