[sustran] Chennai: Automobility or Accessibility

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Mar 15 01:19:19 JST 2006

I think that this reflects fundamental
differences in how transportation is defined. In
many situations people assume that
'transportation' means motor vehicle travel, and
so the best way to improve transportation is to
improve roads and parking facilities. But that
approach incurs huge costs and reduces other
forms of mobility and accessibility, if it
displaces public transit and nonmotorized travel,
or leads to sprawl. The problem that we face is
that transport planners often only consider
direct, short-term impacts (improved motor
vehicle travel) and overlook secondary impacts
(reduced accessibility over the long term), and
public officials tend to be among the group that
benefits most from automobile travel. These
issues are discussed in my paper "Measuring
Transportation: Traffic, Mobility and
Accessibility" (http://www.vtpi.org/measure.pdf ).

I think that the best way to counter this is to
show that expanding urban roads and parking
facilities is very costly, and other solutions
are better overall. I think it is important to
show that public transit can be an elite service,
that can attract wealthy commuters out of their
cars, if a city provides a variety of services,
from cheap and basic to premium and luxury) and
gives public transit and nonmotorized travel
priority in traffic, land use, and pricing. This
is the only way that urban transportation systems
can really work efficiently, and fortunately some
of the world's greatest cities (London, Hong
Kong, Singapore, Stockholm, Rome) are now
implementing these measures, which provides
examples that we can cite. However, I realize it
is difficult to persuade people that the future
consists of less rather than more automobile traffic.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”