[sustran] Re: Auto-rickshaws in Mumbai

Regina Anderson regina at wholechoice.net
Tue Mar 14 10:28:02 JST 2006

Just a few thoughts as a planner and former resident of Bombay.  The
rickshaws serve trip lengths that buses don't cater well too, and because
they are cheaper they are a preferred choice for many trips.  The same
congestion problem would happen with cycle rickshaws, so that issue is one
of traffic management, similar to temples and shop stalls being regularly
set up on the right of way also being a management issue(temples in
particular, are very hard to have removed, therefore are very effective in
staking out land).

Just for scale note that "the city" or "downtown" in Bombay stretches all
the way to Mahim Creek where Bandra begins, so the area where autos are not
allowed is really quite large - like being kept out of Manhattan and
relegated to the outer burroughs in New York City.

The image issue of bicycles being backward is the real hurdle.  I don't see
how this will be overcome in the near future in Bombay, so can't consider it
a realistic possibility to convert autos back to pedal rickshaws.  Yes, ITDP
has done work in India with rickshaws, including a project in Agra that I
believe was to convert autos to cycle rickshaws - the hook there was that
the Taj Mahal's buildings were being damaged by the air pollution so there
was willingness, and as a small tourist town it was not a big transportation
issue.  Don't know that any such hook could be found at this time in
Bombay.

best,
Gina

--
Regina Manzo Anderson, AICP
Whole Choice - Movement for Health, Pedestrian Planning, Sustainability