[sustran] Re: Effect of bicycle lane marking on bicycle usage

Carlos F. Pardo carlos.pardo at sutp.org
Fri Jun 23 08:36:42 JST 2006

I haven't seen any of it, but I'm sure this is strictly related to the cultural characteristics of a city or country. If you paint a bicycle lane in (most of) Western Europe, you'll get many cars who will not touch it. When you have bicycle lanes in Bogot? (very few kms, because most of them are segregated cycleways) you see that they're used some times for car parking. When you have them in NYC, you'll be sure to see cars all over it (it's an important issue for www.transalt.org ). So I suggest you actually measure it in a "pilot area", if you have the possibility. You should see the basics of traffic calming (the classic traffic calming), where there sometimes have to be physical measures to lower speeds.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo