[sustran] Re: Lee Schipper wrote

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:52:58 JST 2006

Todd Edelman wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Yes Lee, you r right a clean two wheeler is the alternative but what
>> exactly is this "clean" 2-wheeler in my opinion it should be a bicycle
>> or a rickshaw (3-wheeler) and if it is then that's what we want in the
>> cities but not motorbikes using clean fuels. Motorcycles using
>> electricity would be great but the source of electricity is also to be
>> considered, still will this reduce the accidents?
>>

> If the form of tranport doesnt change but the energy is easier to get or
> more "great" than the number of two-wheelers will just go up. They might
> be individually quieter, and this might actually add to the number of
> collisions (aka "accidents").

Yes Todd I agree with you and I meant that the cleaner 2-wheeler could
only be a bicycle becoz all the other options are never zero emission
vehicles, except for walking.
> There is also the "fear factor" for vulnerable road users because of the
> all these things moving around. This cannot really be counted in
> statistics except very generally (e.g. as an answer to the question: "Do
> streets still feel chaotic with all the clean and quiet motorised
> 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7-wheelers?") This fear factor needs to be better
> quantified.

I would say that the fear factor also would not decrease but rather
increase bcoz of an increase in the number of motor vehicles, clean
motors does not mean "safe" motor vehicles
> Now, before people start throwing the "I" (idealist) word around, please
> consider if a "cleaner" motorised vehicle is, by itself a step towards new
> mobility and "New Moblity"... or carfree. If it is not then it is simply
> no solution. If everyone invests in "cleaner" two-wheelers how much push
> will there be for public transport as part of a comprehensive, holistic
> solution which addresses all our beliefs, be they "sustainable transport",
> "New Mobility", "carfree"?

there would still be a push for sustainable transport and a car free
society if the investment is in the bicycles and encouraging walking but
definitely there will be no push if it is on motorised private vehicles
then the "New mobility" would be "New Motorised Mobility"

Sunny