[sustran] Re: Lee Schipper wrote

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Wed Jun 21 20:41:02 JST 2006

Hi,

> Yes Lee, you r right a clean two wheeler is the alternative but what
> exactly is this "clean" 2-wheeler in my opinion it should be a bicycle
> or a rickshaw (3-wheeler) and if it is then that's what we want in the
> cities but not motorbikes using clean fuels. Motorcycles using
> electricity would be great but the source of electricity is also to be
> considered, still will this reduce the accidents?

If the form of tranport doesnt change but the energy is easier to get or
more "great" than the number of two-wheelers will just go up. They might
be individually quieter, and this might actually add to the number of
collisions (aka "accidents").

There is also the "fear factor" for vulnerable road users because of the
all these things moving around. This cannot really be counted in
statistics except very generally (e.g. as an answer to the question: "Do
streets still feel chaotic with all the clean and quiet motorised
1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7-wheelers?") This fear factor needs to be better
quantified.

Now, before people start throwing the "I" (idealist) word around, please
consider if a "cleaner" motorised vehicle is, by itself a step towards new
mobility and "New Moblity"... or carfree. If it is not then it is simply
no solution. If everyone invests in "cleaner" two-wheelers how much push
will there be for public transport as part of a comprehensive, holistic
solution which addresses all our beliefs, be they "sustainable transport",
"New Mobility", "carfree"?

> Sunny
>
> Lee Schipper wrote:
>> Not sure I agree with the complaint. Visiting Hanoi many times, I see a
>> mess, but I also see a population that moves slowly on relat ively clean
>> two stroke four wheelers. There is not room for
>> four wheelers -- there will be room for buses..but clean two wheelers
>> may be a "solution" to balancing individual and collective mobility. And
>> Dinesh points out that a clean three wheel autorickshaw may be the most
>> sustainable transport form of all, even if it doesnt look like a
>> bicycle, BRT, or commuter rail!
>>
>> Motor cycles, if we mean "choppers" is not sustainable -- but small low
>> power two wheelers, even th electric variety, make an important
>> contribution in a few places and could make more..
>>
>> Lee Schipper, Ph.D., Director of Research
>> EMBARQ, the WRI Center for Transport and Environment
>> World Resources Institute
>> 10 G St NE, Washington DC 20002 USA
>> Phone +1 202 729 7735; Fax +1 202 729 7775
>> http://www.embarq.wri.org

> (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus
> is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory