[sustran] Re: Motorcycles in the world

Eric Bruun ericbruun at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 21 02:34:57 JST 2006

.-----Original Message-----
From: eric lund
Sent: Jun 19, 2006 8:50 PM
To: A3B14 at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [A3B14] Fw: [sustran] Motorcycles in the world

Eric:

Sounds like a good tavern discussion at the very least.  Or perhaps a research proposal!

I vaguely recall some works in the 90s relating to Spain and Greece, perhaps containing some quantification of the idea that as a nation emerges economically, the people turn to a higher degree of freedom of choice in personal mobility.  And, of course more recently we've seen this happen again and again in south Asia.

Maybe looking at motorcycle-specific research is the wrong choice.  Perhaps your correspondant would want to look to determine the correlation between income levels and the popularization through use of forms of personal transportation in emerging economies.  That may have already been done on some level, but I don't have any cites.

You'll likely see a rise in PTW transport until incomes or local technologies reach a particular level, at which time you'll see a rise in autos.  Hostorically, he'll want to see what the availability of cheap model Ts did to the motorcycle industry in the US.

Best,

Eric