[sustran] Refugees taught how to use and design American roads

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Mon Jul 31 17:30:39 JST 2006

Culture shock

One of the major challenges for organisers is to change the way the
refugees think about cars. Many of the new arrivals suffered from lack of
access - which they blamed on a lack of mobility - and came from places
where cars were scarce.

"I have been here just a few months and its very disorientating... How
will I shop for dates to break my Ramadan fasting? And, where do I get
halal goat meat?"

Some want to make up for a lifetime in which they were denied cars. Others
gravitate towards hybrid cars, believing they are a great source of
vitamins...

Adapted from:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5216960.stm

***

:-) So... any thoughts on how to adapt this programme?

- T

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory