[sustran] [Kyoto2020] Re: Transportation Modal Choice in Asian Cities

Geoff Gardner Geoff.Gardner at northyorks.gov.uk
Tue Jul 25 16:56:59 JST 2006

your remit,  may I draw your attention to the following.

http://www.transport-links.org/transport_links/filearea/publications/1_708_ORN%2011-%20.pdf

It is not earth shattering strategy, or mega-sophisticated maths, but
it is a basic guide to measuring transport problems. It is quite well
done and very good in parts (I can be modest because I only did the
other parts).

One intention was that instead of worrying about whether a method for
measuring saturation flow had a statistical bias, for example,  we aimed
more at ensuring we found a method that was least prone to total
blunders.

Some of the language may be out of date now (I prefer to use the term
'low income countries') but I still commend it to you and would ask that
you tell your friends in the field.

A development of this was traffic signals guide and then an audit
methodology for the whole city. This would be a fantastic thing to have
as an interactive community website. I do not have the skills, however,
so would welcome support from a keen volunteer.

Best regards from Northallerton, a small town in the North of England
(temperature 32C / 90F today)

Geoff

Geoff Gardner, Travel Awareness Officer
Env. Services, North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall, Northallerton, N Yorks DL7 8AH
Tel 01609 532371 fax 779838 mobile: 0771 500 9425
email geoff.gardner at northyorks.gov.uk
web: www.northyorks.gov.uk/environment/travelwise

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.