[sustran] Pedestrian Congestion Charge project in Edinburgh.

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Jul 22 17:32:02 JST 2006

For you to get a feel for the new and quite different look and feel for the
website that has long been labeled the World Car Free Days Collaborative at
http://worldcarfreeday.com - I'd like to point you to the following little video
which you will find among 37 others (last count this morning) in our new
<http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree> Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library
which you can click to direct from the top menu of the website (you'll see it),

Alternatively you can click here  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeRDRmEQMPk>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeRDRmEQMPk and be taken to a two minute video
clip which reports on a Pedestrian Congestion Charge project in Edinburgh. It
carries the legend: "You are now entering Edinburgh City Centre's new Pedestrian
Congestion Charging Zone" and shows how this excellent concept can be put to
work. After all, you use it, you should pay for it. Eh?

BTW, this makes an excellent project for a Car Free Day.

And so too does the Vancouver "How to Build Your Own Car Park" project that you
can also see in the Less Cars library, or direct via
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vv34N4-2VY
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vv34N4-2VY&search=%22car%20park%22>
&search=%22car%20park%22

The new address for the site - which is now known as "The Lots Less Cars in
Cities Idea Factory" - is  <http://lotslesscars.org/> http://lotslesscars.org
You may want to make a note of that.

Thanks to a number of you for your private communications and encouragement for
this re-labeling exercise and the work that now has to follow to make it stick.
The whole concept of Car Free Days is still very much in the center of this, but
the push to a broader and much stronger "less cars" orientation can, I sincerely
believe, only serve to make this a more effective rallying point for our ideas,
discussions and, one earnestly hopes, remedial projects and actions.  It was,
after all, the fundamental underlying theme that was intended in the original
Car Free Day challenge that was issued in Toledo Spain back in October 1994. A
long time ago.  And which somehow seems to have got lost in the rush to getting
large numbers of cities signing up for an administrated (and marginal) one day,
once a year event. The original idea is that every day is a good one for a Car
Free (or a Lots Less Cars) Day.

Eric Britton

PS. Still wide open to comments and suggestions on this in process
transformation.