[sustran] Re: Are bicycles good for the environment?

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Fri Jul 21 19:26:33 JST 2006

I think hte basic flaw in his analysis is identifying each extra day of life with the per capita energy use of an average American (or other person).  At the margin your "extra" energy is much smaller. And a day of life is certainly worth a few megajoules, no?

Lee Schipper
Director of Research
EMBARQ, the WRI Center
for Sustainable Transport
Washington DC
+1202 729 7735
www.embarq.wri.org
>>> papon at inrets.fr 07/21/06 3:32 AM >>>
Following this rationale, murderers are heroes and should be rewarded,
investment in the weapon industry is the most sustainable and nuclear
proliferation is a blessing.

But there is a point: what is the ultimate goal of mankind, if any? Is
it to make as many people as possible sustain a dull life, or to allow
a happy few enjoy brilliant achievements? Or to put it in diachronic
way, is it better to ensure the longest possible survival of the human
species, at the price of enforcing for ever unfortunate lifestyles, or
to promote the delightful current party, however short it may be?

Le 21 juil. 06, * 07:21, Guevarra, Joselito Lomada a *crit :

> [...]
>
> Population is one of the primary drivers of energy consumption. And
> there are only two ways to increase the rate of global population
> growth: bump up the birth rate, or bump down the death rate. In
> effect, cycling does the latter. (If we look at the population of
> individual countries rather than the entire planet, immigration is a
> third way to affect population growth. We’ve previously discussed some
> of the energy implications of immigration.)
>
> Ulrich estimates that every year of sustained bicycle use adds about
> 10.6 days to the average person’s lifespan, even accounting for the
> increased accident risk that cyclists face.
>
> The result, in Ulrich’s analysis, is basically a wash. Each of us,
> simply by participating in the economy, uses a significant amount of
> energy. Bicycling rather than driving causes a large first-order
> decrease in the amount of energy a person uses, but the increased
> longevity of that person almost entirely negates the savings.
>
> Interesting. But how well does theory map to reality? Personally, I
> have strong doubts about the practical implications of this analysis.
> The first issue is that most people who opt to cycle rather than drive
> cars are likely to be fairly fit already. These cyclists will see less
> health benefits on the margin than the hypothetical sedentary person,
> and therefore the first order CO2 reductions will dominate.
>
> The second issue is subtler but possibly far more important. In
> Ulrich’s analysis, the population effects of cycling occur immediately
> (which is mathematically accurate in his hypothetical example). But I
> strongly suspect that the actual demographics of bicycle usage mean
> that the population bump from improved fitness won’t be seen for a
> number of years. In effect, riding a bicycle shifts energy consumption
> from today to an unspecified point in the future.
>
> In private communication, Ulrich ballparks the delay in the population
> bump as maybe ten years, which he points out is an insignificant
> amount of time when compared to the climactic changes that are already
> underway. True enough, but ten years could be long enough for highly
> significant changes to occur in the energy intensity of our
> lifestyles. If, for example, in ten years all of our electricity is
> produced by wind (yea!) or coal (boo!), shifting our consumption into
> the future will have real consequences for our rate of carbon
> emissions.
>
> My advice: keep cycling, certainly for your health, and for the
> environment too.
>
> Update: Ulrich’s paper got picked up in Andrew Leonard’s How the World
> Works column in Salon. Fun read, although Leonard’s main complaint
> seems to be that he doesn’t really like the conclusion of the paper.

> equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
> countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list,
> the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.
Francis Papon, mailto:papon at inrets.fr, tel +33 (0)1 4740 7270,
ICPC,INRETS/DEST/EEM/HEGEL-PMG,
Researcher at the Department of Transport Economics and Sociology at
the French National Institute for Transport and Safety Research
INRETS, 2, avenue du General Malleret-Joinville, 94114 Arcueil Cedex,
France
http://www.inrets.fr/transv/pfi/pmg/index.htm