[sustran] Re: "many people misunderstand car sharing and car-pooling.It is not the time."

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Fri Jul 7 11:09:56 JST 2006

Very interesting. how many of them drove again on June 6?

>>> zhusongli at eri.org.cn 07/06/06 10:06 PM >>>
In big cities in China, like Beijing, Shanghai,  parents send their children to driving schools as soon as they are 18 year old. Driving becomes a basic skill in urban life.  Now summer holiday is coming,  driving schools  are crowded with young people who just finished their examination. I know that because I am there for my license.  Driving schools are profitable nowadays as teenagers go there periodically and older people who had no chance to learn for license when they were young rush there also.

I say it is not the time since most car owners are not aware of the negative impact they have brought to environment and society.  Policies should be  responsible for the phenomenon. No fuel tax and TDM, people always drive as much as they can only if they can afford to car purchasing and oil price.  and public transport has not developed well.

I am happy as things change a little.  On June 5, the Environment Day, it is reported that 200,000 drivers in Beijing gave up driving.

Zhu Songli
Beijing